Friday, January 18, 2008

Just when you think your child is soooo good.....




When people ask me about Jack, I always brag about how good he always is. He rarely acts up, especially in public. He usually only gets upset if he is tired, hungry or not feeling well. Then comes a day like today. WOW! Jack and I have both been trying to get over a lingering cold so we haven't been getting out a lot in the last week or so. Today, I decided to take him to Tuesday Morning for a little after holiday shopping. You know, the shopping trips you go on just to see if there is something you might like to buy for yourself since you spent the last 3+ months buying for everybody else. Anyway, Jack was fine for the first 10 minutes or so after walking through the doors. Then, all of a sudden he spotted a Thomas the Tank Engine toy. I knew then and there the attitude was about to change. It was all about "toot toot! toot toot! toot toot!" Oh boy! Well, I did what many of you might do. I said........ "No." I had already put about 3 toys in my cart and I was supposed to be shopping for me for once. Well, he went into a screaming, raging fit with tears and all. I have never had to deal with this in public a day in my life. It was a little unnerving. So I handled it pretty well I think. I just talked to him as calmly as possible and we proceeded to the checkout to pay for what we had and move on. He did stop crying about 3 or 4 minutes later. At least it didn't last very long. Little did I know the "best" was yet to come.

On our way home he was acting ok so I decided we would try to stop at Books-A-Million to see if I could find a good Toddler Cookbook and let him hang out in the little kids section. You know, where they have the little table and chairs and children's books. Anyway, I decided to just carry him in since I had planned on letting him down to play a little. It took about 2 seconds for him to spot a book in the shape of a truck with wheels on it. I put him down and handed him the book. He took off running and there I was running after him. After catching him and attempting to pick him up, he, of course, threw himself on the floor in a screaming, raging tantrum in turn kicking the "truck book" in the middle of the main aisle. People stared and tried to act like it was ok but to be quite honest, I was pretty embarrassed. This wasn't a playground, it was a book store. A place of silence and relaxation right? Not today! Not at 2:00 pm. If you were there, sorry!

So that is the story of Jack's first public disturbance. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. HA HA!! Yeah right. But we love them anyway.

No comments: